Sunday, April 29, 2012

Edith Widder TED Talk

I like the first sentence of her TED Talk because it helps the audience become intrigued in the subject and anxious to see what happens next. I thought the idea was a good idea because it helps the audience understand what was going on because as she said, it is hard to explain in words. I also like her idea of bringing a sample to show the bioluminescence of plankton because the audience could experience a little bit of what she did. Even though it did not work as planned because they only glowed for a few seconds, she did not make her speech awkward because she messed up, rather she handled it well and made it flow by making it comical. I love how she used so many different examples and did not stick with just plankton. I could tell that she really knew a lot about her topic and did not stumble or sound like she was running out of things to talk about. I like how she has arrows in her pictures that are pointing to the things she wants us to see because we can quickly look for it and then start paying attention to her again. The different cameras showing how animals respond to light was really interesting and it helps explain what she is talking about. I really liked how Widder presented her TED Talk and explained everything that she was talking about in more depth. Her presentation style was a little different because she did not focus on stories the entire time, but it was still enticing enough for me to continue watching. I think that her topic was something that people never think about much and it was fun to learn  new facts by listening to her talk and watching the videos. I think that this talk affected me because it was about something that I rarely ever hear about, so it was awesome to learn more about bioluminescence. I think it could affect schools because students can expand their learning, and even though it might not be the most important thing, I think that it is a topic that most students would be excited to learn about. This could affect the world because it could change the behavior in the environment or possibly the ecosystem.

No comments:

Post a Comment