Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Daniel Pink TED Talk

I really like how he started his TED talk. I think he built up a little bit of suspension that allowed people to look forward to what he was going to say next. I like how he showed a visual and not just explained it in his own words. It was also nice that he showed the solution to the puzzle a little after people were able to think about it, but soon enough so that they didn't focus on just the puzzle, rather his speech. I like how he is using his hands and not just having them staying still. He emphasizes a lot of words, and I think that it helps people pay attention to what he is talking about and not just sit there. I also like that he is giving more than just one example and explaining his understanding of the experiments. I like how he is trying to involve the crowd with a couple of his questions. I think that Pink uses visuals to help explain his speech, and I enjoy it because I think that people pay more attention when they have another thing to look at. I also think that it helps people understand what they are hearing. I also like how he relates some of his material to people that younger people would know, but also people that the older generation can relate to. Pink was talking about carrots vs. sticks, and how you have to kind of find a balance because scientific studies show that people do not succeed with too much of one or the other. I think that it was an interesting topic to learn about because I am one of the people who thought that the carrot technique works well. I think that it is important to education because it  helps teachers and the schools understand what happens when you use the carrot or stick technique. I think that it is important to know because then they can find a median between the two that help the students learn easier. Pink said that we could change the world with this knowledge, but I don't really see how.

No comments:

Post a Comment